Alternatives to Medication for ADHD and LD People
Drugs like Adderall, Ritalin and Strattera can be very effective at treating ADHD, but we always want options. Here is a list of some alternative ways to improve your ADHD that you may not have known about. I’ve tried almost all of them.
Brain Training Software
Lumosity.com is by far the cheapest and most robust. For $15/month, you can improve your attention by playing games on your computer or smart phone. Posit Science is a far more expensive software, but has a money-back guarantee and a long history of research on its effectiveness.
Brain Training Audio
The Listening Program has been around for over a decade, and claims to improve the brain by only listening to specially-engineered music in headphones.
Neurofeedback uses funny-looking headsets that read your brainwaves while you watch movies. When you’re not focusing properly, the movies stop until you regain focus. This trains your brain to pay attention properly, and can have long-standing effects.
I’ve written about my experience with Vipassana Meditation, which I believe to be particularly effective for ADHD people with impulse control issues. It’s by no means the only form of meditation that will work though.
Light boxes have been used as an effective treatment for Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D.) and depression, but there is also some evidence that it can be affective for people with ADHD as well. Given the fact that ADHD can co-occur with depression, light therapy can be doubly useful as a supplementary therapy.
I’ve had some indirect results from the Alexander Technique, which I detail in another post. AT improves posture which reduces facial tension, which in turn removes some distractions.
There’s a ton of stuff like this out there, more to come!
- Medication Alternatives for ADHD: Improving Your Brain
The more I research, the more evidence I find that you can have a real…
- ADHD Brain Games: Lumosity
In Norman Doidge MD's book The Brain That Changes Itself, he details amazing stories…
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
- The Alexander Technique, Back Pain and ADHD
- My Recent Brain-Healthy Diet and Self-Control
- Working Out My Brain With Mozart
- Eliminate Paper: Creating a Digital Office
- Brain Hacks vs. Brain Upgrades (Compensation vs. Correction)
- Books That Can Change Your Life: Learned Optimism
- Delicious: Never Lose Your Bookmarks
- Thoughts on Being an ADHD Computer Programmer
- Mind Over Matter: How I Overcame My Learning Disability to Build a Successful Tech Career
- Evernote for ADHD People