ADHD Brain Games: Lumosity
In Norman Doidge MD’s book The Brain That Changes Itself, he details amazing stories of how people were able to overcome learning disabilities, brain failure from stroke, even deafness and blindness.
All this revolutionary change comes from a new understanding of the way the brain works. Neuroplasticity, the idea that the brain is not only changeable (contrary to the belief held by scientists for decades), but in fact VERY changeable at any age. Furthermore there are actual techniques and tools to develop your brain in the same way you would a muscle.
One of the tools I’ve discovered get your brain in shape is Lumosity. lumosity.com has dozens of simple games which develop specific cognitive areas. There are games for attention; processing speed; memory; verbal fluency, spatial orientation and so on. They have organized training regimens for different brain development goals, including one for ADHD.
The best part is, it’s free to use some of the games such as Memory Matrix and Speed Match. The other games are free for 30 days and then you can pay $15/month thereafter, or keep using the free games only.
I’ve been using it for months and my memory and attention span have definitely changed. My ADHD hasn’t magically gone away, but I can do multiplication in my head with far less trouble than before. I remember names a bit better, and when I get distracted I’m a bit quicker to get back to what I was doing.
Another perk of Lumosity: you can see a chart of your progress, so you can better tell whether it’s working or not.
- Medication Alternatives for ADHD: Improving Your Brain
The more I research, the more evidence I find that you can have a real…
- Alternatives to Medication for ADHD and LD People
Drugs like Adderall, Ritalin and Strattera can be very effective at treating ADHD, but we…
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
- howcast.com: Learn the Things You Were Too Embarrassed to Ask About
- My “Brain Hacks and Upgrades” Presentation
- Brain Hacks vs. Brain Upgrades (Compensation vs. Correction)
- Presenting at QCon New York, This June 2016!
- You’re Not Lazy.
- Google Calendar: Remember Your Appointments
- Vipassana Meditation and ADHD (or, How I Felt After 10 Days of Silence)
- Why I Got My IQ Tested (And You Should Too)
- What ADHD Feels Like
- Cut Distractions, Improve Concentration with Binaural Beats