My “Brain Hacks and Upgrades” Presentation
Last summer I was super excited to give a talk at QCon New York, a fantastic international software conference. At QCon they give some great in-depth talks about everything tech related, ranging from web development to programming architecture, scaling, management and so on.
Last summer they were trying out something new, a presentation track on “optimization;” that is, personal improvement.
It was a huge success; an exit survey of participants showed it as the most popular track at the conference. Awesome!
I was proud to have given this talk, in which I discuss a number things about the brain including:
- The difference between “real” and “perceived” ADHD;
- The difference between a brain “hack” (compensation strategy) and an “upgrade” (way to change the brain). I’ve also talked about this distinction in this article.
- The different types of distraction (visual, auditory, social, internal) and how to combat them
- Actual brain improvement methodologies I’ve tried, including Integrated Listening Systems to Neurofeedback to Vipassana meditation and more (in the last 10 minutes of the talk – I was running behind!).
Overall it was a great experience. I hope you check out the video and slides below, and give me your feedback. Enjoy!
- Brain Hacks vs. Brain Upgrades (Compensation vs. Correction)
As you may already know, I’ve invested a lot of time, money and energy trying…
- ADHD Brain Games: Lumosity
In Norman Doidge MD's book The Brain That Changes Itself, he details amazing stories…